Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I had dreamed of Andre Rieu Last Nite! Phil Collins Style

This dream was a little bit messed up. I was on the superstar virgo, and the night was pleasant and everything I was having dinner i guess. There was a stage and I was eating out of all things salmon patties, (i don't know why) anyway i was eating there was wine and stuff.

Other things like people and that weren't a vivid thing in this dream but i could see the stage. Anyway I pianist got up on stage to rapturous applause and started played the intro to a song. It was Miami 2017 by Billy Joel. Now Billy Joel wasn't playing it but I recognised the song because i own his "turnstiles" album.

Now the drums kick in, and my attention focuses towards the drummer. It is none other than Andre "the rooster" Rieu. Sitting there like a motherfucker, beating those things like they were goin out of fashion, and eating up those beats as if they were lamb shanks. It was surreal , it really was?

So led me to wonder about this guy's appeal, in reality that is. He sells millions of cd's and dvd's to bewildered old pensioners who think he is the second coming. Now he is a showman, so that's what it is. The melodies are fantastic and it gets people enthralled in the spectacle of it all. His stage sets are gigantic and there's horses and shit galloping around it's terrific. I mean what more would you want out of a concert.

I tell you what I'd like, a gold plated medallion. That's what I fucking like. $350 dollars to see this toss play the fiddle a little and wink at the old farts in the front with the pacemakers, it's enough to make you yell "GOLDMINE, he is a TOSS BUT I REALLY WISH IT WAS ME".

Well that's enough about that, but i truly feel that he is about as one dimensional as you can get and he hides behind props and smiles, as to not expose his faults and his hidden agenda for world domination.

I work in a music store, and that's all i hear all day, is about how great this jerk is. If he was anywhere near as great as let's say i don't know um

Beethoven
Mozart
Debussy
Vivaldi
Johan Strauss
Igor Stravinsky
Bartok
John Cage
Hank Williams
Paul Robeson
Pete Seeger
Bob Dylan
Dizzy Gillespie
Art Tatum
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Cecil Taylor
Bud Powell
Paul Mcartney
Jonh Lennon
Pete Townsend
Paul Rodgers
John Mayall
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Joni Mitchell
Odetta
Phil Ochs
Tim Buckley
Black Sabbath
led zeppelin
magmum
pere ubu
the clash
sex pistols
siouxie and the banshees
bauhaus
the fall
ride
opeth
stone roses
morbid angel
daath
my morning jacket
bloc party
who made who
ac/dc
chemical brothers
funkadelic/parilament
grandfunk railroad
radiohead
sonic youth

and finally, Billy joel..

Then I might.. I might consider entertaining the thought of listening to this rubbish. But seeing as i have given you a long listof reasons why i'm holding off on this, i suggest you do the same and look some of these guys up. Because the majority of these acts haven't become successful by being mediocre, they have become successful because they did one thing and one thing very well.

they played music.

No comments: